Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Thump! The carnage continues...

As if the finger-meets-soda can-death-hole (thanks Chris! I think that is the perfect description) incident wasn't tramuatic enough for this month, I have a new Jammy injury to report. Benjamin usually wakes up around 6 or 6:30, and Loren brings him to me in bed to have his breakfast. When he was just a tiny baby, sometimes he would very charmingly fall asleep with me and we would get to go back to sleep and snuggle for awhile. No mas. Except this morning, (after a lot of awakeness in the night) he did it again. And he didn't wake up and didn't wake up, so I finally got out of bed, and got to get ready all by myself, which is a big excitement for me. I left him to snooze in bed, which is what I would do when he was just a little guy. So Marnie the wonder nanny got here, and I told her he was still asleep, up in our bed. Fast forward to 6:00pm. I called Loren to check in with him, and apparently (I know you could all see this coming) Benjamin fell out of bed and onto the floor. Marnie had the monitor on and heard a big thump! and went running to check, and there he was, on the floor. Poor guy had no idea what had happened. He was apparently more surprised than hurt, no big lumps or bumps or gashes, but I sure felt awful about it. Poor little guy. This photo is from the crib in the hotel in Missoula. From now on he only gets to sleep in beds with walls this high.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aww Jammy, I feel your pain. Literally, as I did the same thing just last weekend. Those grown-up beds are sneaky baby-noggin-thumping meanie contraptions. I'm sticking to my crib, thankyouverymuch.

Chris Lodwig said...

I think beds should come with a "must be immobile or this tall to ride" plywood elf or something.
While Zach here says he feels Ben's pain for the fall, I feel the parental pain of guilt for having let it happen. I'm sure it hurt you far more than it hurt him. Just remember:
1. You're awesome parents
2. He has to learn about gravity somehow, so really you did him a favor. (Wait till he has to learn about relativity...that'll really make him look around all confused.)

wenmei said...

Oooh, I like where Chris is going with the theory of relativity thing. If we stick Jammy and Zachary on a train going the speed of light, they'll stop growing up so fast! I love it! Where do we buy tickets for the train??