Friday, February 29, 2008
Thursday, February 28, 2008
Wednesday, February 27, 2008
This will not be good for my stomach toning efforts. Still no further running, St. Patty's day 5k looming, along with a Palm Springs vacation. Sigh.
Tuesday, February 26, 2008
The charming and accommodating child opted to sleep through the night again last night! Agreeable baby. It may have been that I had a glass of wine at PEPS, or maybe that we kept him up until 9:15, but whatever the reason, he went to bed at 10:45, and woke up at 5:30, so that was great for me. PEPS was really fun last night. He was happy and chatty the whole time, and must have been making faces, because people kept grinning and making faces back at me (he was on my lap), and at one point he was accused of being drunk. Its funny to have a baby on your lap, because people totally let down their guard and act super goofy at you. Toward the end of the meeting, Benito was on the floor on his back at a 90 degree angle to Anya, who is a month older, also on the floor on her back. She was shrieking loudly and happily, and he was fascinated. He kept craning his neck to try to see what was going on. He also got really close to rolling over. He would look over at her, and get turned all the way onto his side, but his right arm kept getting in the way, and he couldn’t make it all the way over. Everyone was cheering for him though. He was also smiling and talking to Amelia, another little PEPS buddy, so now they all think he is quite the ladies man.
When we were getting ready to go the poor little guy was beyond tired, and he started doing his singing the blues cry. Someone commented on what a cute deep voice he had, and someone else said, yeah, just like a little baby Barry White. And here, I had no idea, and just thought he had a regular baby voice. Funny Barry White voiced baby.
Monday, February 25, 2008
I’m now blatantly stealing photos from Aunt Cookie’s blog, as I just can’t take pictures of him from work. Anyway, this is a similar smile to the one he gave me this morning.
Sunday, February 24, 2008
Saturday, February 16, 2008
Friday, February 15, 2008
Tuesday, February 12, 2008
Sunday, February 10, 2008
Friday, February 8, 2008
- So, I was rereading some of my blog entries the other day, and I don't think I am really accomplishing what I wanted. I mean, it does sort of create a snapshot of Jammy's day to day life, but it doesn't really capture the things that I most want to remember. Its mostly specific moments of his baby-ness that I know will be short lived that I want to memorialize. Some examples:
Little tiny baby mullet. Party in the back, business in the front. His little hair is so soft, and its darker and longer right above his neck, and then he has a little bald spot in the back. When he wakes up, the sides of it sometimes stick straight out, and he looks like he has funny little wings. It makes him look surprised, or like an Einstein-esque little scientist. It is totally adorable. Sometimes he wakes up having spit up, and it has dried on the back of his neck, and his hair is all crinkly from it.
- When he his finished nursing, his cheeks are flushed completely pink.
- Sometimes he sucks in his sleep. Its like he is dreaming about eating. It is so completely adorable. And then he will smile or frown in his sleep too. What is he dreaming about?
- He makes these little cooing noises that just kill me. He has such a beautiful little voice.
- He has the poutiest little lower lip. Sometimes it sticks out in his sleep.
- He gets heavier when he falls asleep in your arms. And he get so relaxed and noodle like, you can flop his arms around.
- He often has these very concerned eyebrows, like he is a little worried about the state of the world.
- Sometimes when he sleeps he sticks his feet up in the air. He will be this little bundle of blanket, and the lower half of it won't be touching the bed. Anti-gravity feet.
- He sleeps with his hands above his head, like he is cheering on some kind of secret baby olympics.
- When he wakes up, he does all these fabulous stretches, and makes these great squinty, grunty, waking up faces. Its just how I feel when I wake up.
- Sometimes he wakes up, and just talks to himself in his crib. When I go to pick him up, his face breaks into his big, drooly, toothless grin. It is the most endearing thing.
- He is a kicky little guy. When I change his diapers, sometimes his legs just keep kicking, like he is doing an imaginary stationary bike.
- When I change his diaper, sometimes he just laughs, like it is the greatest joke ever. His laugh is my most favorite sound in the world. Sometimes it is kind of gurgly, or he sort of gasps for air, like he is laughing so hard he can't breathe. Or else he just smiles, and I try to make him laugh with raspberries and kisses on his little belly, and his cheeks and neck. Its a toss up, whether he will laugh or just smile.
- He tries so hard to hold his head up, but when his neck gets tired, or when he is on his tummy, it wobbles like a little bobble head.
- His hands are so soft and kind of pudgy. There are little dimples at his knuckles.
- He so warm and soft and snuggly. He just melts into you when you hold him.
It makes me teary eyed to think about all this stuff, and the things that I will mis when he gets bigger. It makes me really reluctant to go back to work, because I don't want to miss out. But at least I know that I am the one missing out, and its not going to bother him at all. He will have all kinds of fun, and I know he will be taken care of probably better than I do. But I really will miss him. I was telling him that today was the last day of our special fun summer vacation together, and about how much fun I had with him, and about who was going to be taking care of him next week, and I just couldn't stop crying. He did his best to cheer me up though. What a nice baby.
Wednesday, February 6, 2008
Tuesday, February 5, 2008
Monday, February 4, 2008
Sunday, February 3, 2008
Saturday, February 2, 2008
Second item on the fun list was going to be REI with Maija. Turns out she needed to stay home, so instead Benjamin and I curled up in bed and took a big long nap. Sighhhh. Very nice. He is absolutely the most cuddly, snuggly invention ever. Of course I think he peed all over the sheets, but nobody is perfect. Then my mom came over and took him for a walk, so that I could prepare for the third fun thing on my list, investment club. I got to read a couple of articles about Starbucks (the stock I follow) on MSN money, and feel like I knew enough to say something vaguely informed.
This was the first time I have gone to REAP (Retire Early And Party) since the boy, and it was really fun. I got to eat pizza, drink wine out of a paper cup and talk to grown ups about economic trends, ethical investing, and the new Hannah Montana movie. Starbucks price is waaaay down, around $19. We looked at all the numbers though, talked about what is going on, (Howard in, breakfast sandwiches out, expansion slowing yada yada yada), and decided we think its going to come back, and now is a great time to buy it at a bargain price. Since the market sucks so badly right now, everything is in the buy range, except WaMu, which is so bad its laughable.
When I got home, it turned out naughty Benito had not been a benevolent dictator for his father, but instead a whiny fussy little bugger. I find the whole thing a leeetle hard to believe, as he was nice as pie, all smiles and spit bubbles for the rest of the night.