Friday, August 8, 2008

Baby's first blood bath

So, we had a little first aid incident at the campout.The picture does not really capture the bloody massacre that this really was. So, as you might know, Benjamin is a very grabby little guy. Lightening fast grabbing reflexes, and very strong grip. And he is also very interested in whatever I am doing. So, if I am on the phone, he is trying to wrestle it away from me. If I am having something he can’t eat - spicy thai food, ice cream etc. – he will lunge for it. And don’t ask me how he can tell it is something he can’t have. He just knows. If I were to eat say, green beans, he would totally ignore me. But he might try to steal the empty fork, so he could try to swallow that. So anyway, I was holding him on my lap, in my most outrageously fabulous camping chair, simultaneously with drinking a diet coke. And I did let him touch the can, which was nice and cold, which is very interesting to touch. But I somehow was not fast enough, and he got his little fingers into the… I don’t even know what you call it. The little hole on top of the can that you drink out of. Is there a good word for that which I just can’t think of? Or is there not a word. Its not a spout. The mouth of the can? Anyway, you know the part I mean. The part with the razor sharp edges. And being the clever mom that I am, I then tried to remove his hand from the sharp edges, which is what resulted in a tiny finger slice. Even though it was a tiny slice, to a tiny finger, it was a gusher, and produced copious amounts of drippy blood. Which he alternately wiped and dripped a) on his face, b) on my hands, and c) on his Gonzaga onesie. We eventually found a first aid kit, toweled him off, and got a band aid on. This picture was in the very short span of time when the band aid actually stayed on his little finger. As soon as I let go of his hand, he proceeded to stick his finger in his mouth and chew the band aid off. So of course then I was worried that not only would he bleed to death because the band aid wouldn’t stay on, but that he would also choke on it and die before he could finish bleeding. I ended up holding his hand in a towel until he stopped bleeding and he was fine within a couple of minutes. So he survived his first injury. I am switching to drinking only those funny little glass bottles of limonata from here on out. Because, really, who am I kidding, I was looking for an excuse to do that anyway.

3 comments:

Chris Lodwig said...

The name of the opening is contextual really. I might call it simply the mouth of the can...but in this case I believe it is commonly referred to as the "death hole".

Clementine said...

OMG. I shouldn't laugh but I am picturing your reaction, and it makes me giggle. Be glad it was only a finger. Addy did that at about that age with the pull off top of cheese puffs and got her little wrist. I believe 4 stitches she was OK. But barely missed slicing her vein...which WOULDN'T have been good. So phew it was only a finger. Lets hope he learns his lesson :)

Anonymous said...

What? There was no song title with "blood bath" in it? So glad the both of you survived this very traumatic and trying time in your lives...now you can go on to bigger and better things like falling out of bed....oh wait....