Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Doctor's Report

Today was Benbino's sixth month check up. I have a love/hate relationship with taking him to the doctor. I love hearing how well he is doing, how healthy he is, and how generally charming, cute, smart and athletic he is. And its from a doctor. That means it has to be true, right? Its a professional opinion. So, love all that good stuff. Hate the shots. Hate hate hate them! I mean, I think its great that we have all these fabulous vaccines, and he never has to worry about getting pertussis or ruebella or polio. But I hate watching him get the shot, and I hate helping hold him still for it. He gives me these big weepy eyes and piercing look of betrayal while wailing the most piteous wail, and squeezing out the tiny baby tears, in most copious and squirty fashion. Today was no different. He had to get 3 shots, which is actually good, because it was supposd to be 5, but they can combine a few. It seems so unfair, because he is such an unsuspecting little victim, happily kicking his legs, and looking around the doctors office, when WHAM! he gets stabbed in the leg. Twice. And then as soon as he is calmed down from the first two, he gets hit again. After that it was total meltdown, so much he wouldn't even eat at first. Poor boy. He slept it off most of the day, and then was tired and fussy. He went to sleep at 6:30, which is some kind of record.
But now for the good stuff. He is 27" long, which puts him in the 75th% for height, and he is 16 pounds 8.5 oz, which is the 40th% for weight. So on the tallish skinniesh side of average. You would never guess it from looking at that round little belly, or those chunky monkey thighs. He is right on track with his grabbing things, and his vowel-consenant blends. He is all ready to start the rice cereal, and it has been recommended that we Ferberize him so we can all sleep through the night. Tonight he was wiped out and out of sorts from the shots, so I am postponing the Ferberizing until tomorrow night. I'll give a full report on how it goes and explain what that means on Friday morning. Unless I am asleep at my computer, which is entirely possible. Wish us luck!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Knowing your uber-smart and cooperative offspring, he will have sussed out the Dr's Ferberizing message and will begin sleeping through the night all by himself, just to prove a point! (well, one can only hope!)

wenmei said...

Oh poor Jammy! Those shots suck, I know. I go through the same thing with Z's shots. Chris tries to duck behind the doctor so that Z won't associate his face with the pain, so I'm the one who gets to look him right in the shocked, then weepy, eyes when it happens.

Good luck with the Ferberizing! That's essentially what we did (I read Ferber as well as Weissbluth's "Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child") back when babyhill was around 4 months old, and it worked like a charm.

Hillary said...

Poor little man! But so glad he's right on track and has a professional assessment of excellence to confirm my unprofessional estimate of the same thing.