Saturday, February 2, 2008

When Jammy met Sally


Yesterday was a big day for both Jammy and me. I had the realization that I only have 6 more business days left of leave. I feel like I have kind of wasted it. I have done a lot of worrying about childcare, and work in the sense of work around the house getting annoying stuff taken care of - stuff like budgets and contractors and tax documents and medical paperwork and all that kind of junk. But I don't think I have done enough fun stuff. And I certainly haven't focused on relaxing and enjoying it the way I should be. But instead of moping about that, I am determined to make the rest of the time off super fun and enjoyable. So, first off on the fun agenda, Jammy got to meet a girl! Judith came and collected us, and we all went to see Cousin Carol, brand new baby cousin Sally, and very big boy Charlie and eat pastries and drink coffee. It was all very satisfactory. Sally makes Benjamin look all grown up. Benjaim didn't really seem to notice Sally yet, but I think he was just playing it cool. And Charlie was like a little glimpse of the future, running around in his little tighty whities playing with dinosaurs. Totally cute.

Second item on the fun list was going to be REI with Maija. Turns out she needed to stay home, so instead Benjamin and I curled up in bed and took a big long nap. Sighhhh. Very nice. He is absolutely the most cuddly, snuggly invention ever. Of course I think he peed all over the sheets, but nobody is perfect. Then my mom came over and took him for a walk, so that I could prepare for the third fun thing on my list, investment club. I got to read a couple of articles about Starbucks (the stock I follow) on MSN money, and feel like I knew enough to say something vaguely informed.

This was the first time I have gone to REAP (Retire Early And Party) since the boy, and it was really fun. I got to eat pizza, drink wine out of a paper cup and talk to grown ups about economic trends, ethical investing, and the new Hannah Montana movie. Starbucks price is waaaay down, around $19. We looked at all the numbers though, talked about what is going on, (Howard in, breakfast sandwiches out, expansion slowing yada yada yada), and decided we think its going to come back, and now is a great time to buy it at a bargain price. Since the market sucks so badly right now, everything is in the buy range, except WaMu, which is so bad its laughable.

When I got home, it turned out naughty Benito had not been a benevolent dictator for his father, but instead a whiny fussy little bugger. I find the whole thing a leeetle hard to believe, as he was nice as pie, all smiles and spit bubbles for the rest of the night.

No comments: