Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Baby Yum Yum or the Great Girl Scout Cookie Debacle


Last year we had a heckuva a time finding girl scout cookies. I did several missions driving to various Wedgwood grocery stores, where girl scouts have been known to push their wares in the past, to no avail. This went on for quite a while actually. I was finally able to buy a couple boxes from a cookie dealer on a corner downtown, flinging cash at her as I was diving for my carpool. Not this year! I had a plan of attack. It turns out one of Auntie Cookie’s neighbors conveniently has girl scouts, who were willing to sell me cookies on a pre-order. My strategy was to order 12 boxes, freeze them, and have one box a month. Good plan, yes? And then when my order was done, I remembered I like the shortbread kind too, so I added 2 boxes of those. Up to 14 boxes. So, I am all happy and excited. Next day rolls around, and the phone is ringing. I answer, and it is my little niece Maria, pushing, guess what, girl scout cookies! Why had no one told me she was selling them this year? Of course I had to buy a 6 more boxes from her, because that is what you do when children who are related to you are fund raising. So I am up to count them, 20 boxes, or $80 worth, of cookies. What else to do but pile them all on the couch and stick the baby in the pile? So here he is, cute and drooly as ever.
This will not be good for my stomach toning efforts. Still no further running, St. Patty's day 5k looming, along with a Palm Springs vacation. Sigh.

2 comments:

wenmei said...

That looks like heaven. And I do the same thing -- I buy tons of boxes of GS cookies and freeze or hide them so that they last the whole year. In fact, I do such a good job of hiding them that we are STILL finding boxes of Samoas and Thin Mints from last year...but that won't stop me from buying more this year!

Anonymous said...

Love the picture!! Makes me wish we still had some cookies left over here....my will power not even vaguely close to Wenmei's!!