Thursday, January 24, 2008

Laugh In



Yesterday was a big day around here! Many accomplishments to be had by all. First and most exiting, Benjamin laughed for the first time. Talk about sappy gooey melty mom moment. Oh my god, I can't believe I'm the mom in this story. Ok, anyway. He was on his changing table, which is inexplicably his most favorite happiest place to be. I had changed his diaper and was being goofy with belly zerberts and loud cheek/neck/shoulder kisses and he started laughing at me. Later he did it again for my mom, and then at the Matlick's for Andrea, Pat and Loren. So talented and advanced this one. It was completely adorable. We were at the in-laws for Grandma Pat's birthday, and her present was a big hit. We gave her a copy of the beautiful photo album book that Judith put together for us for Christmas. She and Uncle Morrie (now that there are two, Great Uncle Morrie, or GUM) and Marnie could not stop exclaiming about it. Marnie and Pat both want Judith to donate photo sittings to their various auctions. I think it would be great advertising. Everyone was very excited and admiring of the boy as well. Great Aunt Donna (GAD just doesn't work as well, does it?) is going to come by on Sunday and meet him, since she missed the birthday.

The other funny thing from yesterday was not a big accomplishment. I was on the phone with Auntie Weewee, holding Benjamin, who was in a fuzzy footed sleeper. I absentmindedly wrapped my hand around his little foot, and it felt wet, which I was not expecting. On closer inspection, it was poop that had somehow escaped his diaper, and made it all the way down his leg into his foot. Ewww! Much shrieking ensued, to Hillary's amusement, and I ran upstairs to change him. My mom was on her way over to go to Issaquah with us, and she arrived in the middle of this procedure. I would have just given him a bath, but we were suppoesd to be leaving, so I didn't have time. Instead I was trying to hose him down with diaper wipes. I had to clean between each of his little toes with the wipes. It was ridiculous, like flossing toes. He just happily smiled away, totally oblivious to how gross he was. What a boy. He has slept through 4 of the past 5 nights though (enter victory music a la theme from Rocky or Eye of the Tiger), so I will forgive him the extreme poopiness.
My big accomplishment was that I got back in the saddle, so to speak, and ran 2 miles. Woo-hoo! I know that doesn't sound like a lot, but given that the last time I ran was a disasterous pregnant Bloomsday in May, I thought it was pretty good. It was bitter cold and icy, so I ran on Auntie Cookie's treadmill, with her fun shuffle mix on. I so want a treadmill, I am totally jealous. Maisy stood behind it and paced and sniffed confusedly. She could not figure out what was going on. And as soon as I was done, Annie announced that I needed to take a shower. Its great when 4 year olds think you smell, from across the room.
Sadly, I lost yet another earring in the process. Before Christmas sometime, I lost one of the diamondish studs that Loren had given me several years ago, that I wear every day. I replaced them in the beginning of January, at the sale at Macy's, with another pair that was as close as I could find to the original ones. So, now I have to see if I still have the remaining one from the first pair, because maybe it will match the one that is left of the second pair. And I need to look into some kind of more secure earring backs, clearly.

No comments: