Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Jumping on the blog wagon

So, like everyone else in the world seems to be doing, I have decided to start a blog. A long time ago I read Annie LaMotte's "Operating Instructions", a great and hilarious book, and I thought, oh yes, someday when I have a baby, I will also write down clever and touching observations about it. As is turns out, I am vastly to lazy to keep up a journal (1 partial entry tapped me out), and I thought the ability to type it and add photos might make me more motivated. Its mostly for my own benefit, so I can look back and remember, so if its boring or nonsensical to you, tough luck, read something else. This will be an attempt to memorialize the last 10 months of the first year of my son's life. As I missed the first 2 months due to the aforementioned laziness. Well, I may actually try to recreate some of that as well, since I am doing whatever I want, regardless of order and regular thought processes. It will be a little bit of an exercise in non-linear thinking.

Anyway, Benjamin was born November 10th, and changed life as we know it. Its such an all encompassing change that its hard to know where to start. I'll jump right in to yesterday, at his 2 month doctor's appointment. We went to see the lovely Dr. Brown, who gets to stay his doctor because she always exclaims how beautiful and charming he is. The big highlight of these check ups is to find out how big the bambino has gotten. This time around, he is 11 lbs, 10 oz, so he is right neck and neck with the cat (Bailey http://www.flickr.com/photos/deborahjm/2202216544/in/photostream/ , the 12 pounder) in their size contest. I'm not sure how the balance of power will shift when Benito outweighs Bailey, but we'll see soon. (Side note: when we brought Benjamin home from the hospital, the dog slid down one spot in the totem pole to the cat's spot, and the cat was bumped down as well, and now hovers around house plant status. And the house plants are now withering from neglect.) Apparently 11 lbs 10 oz puts him right above the 50th percentile for size. He is 24" long, which is closer to the 70th or 80th percentile. Dr. Brown was not very clear on this point. However she was very impressed with his ability to roll over. (Side note again: He can roll from his tummy to his back, which he did for the first time on Christmas Eve, when Auntie Cookie ( http://www.flickr.com/photos/deborahjm/2201461429/ ), the big fancy professional photographer, was taking his pictures. )

The other part of the doctor's appointment, is not so much fun, it is the (scary movie music here) immunizations. The doctor leaves the room for this and makes the nurse do it, and I had to be her accomplice and hold his poor little legs. He gets 2 shots in each leg, and just wailed about it, it was tragically sad. He looked up at me afterwards with these big wet eyes, and gave me the "how could you, I trusted you" face. He is already a master at guilt infliction, clever fellow. He forgave me as soon as I fed him though, he is definitely a boob guy. I guess that will be it for today, now I will attempt to add photos!

No comments: